- A challah cover is used to cover the braided loaves of bread called challah that is eaten at every Shabbat and Holiday meal. It is made of raw silk and is lushly embroidered with my artwork, images of pomegranates and fully backed in cotton. Pomegranates are one of the original Seven Species (Shivat Haminim) named in the Bible. They are ubiquitous both in Israel and in Jewish imagery and said to contain 613 seeds, the number of mitzvot (commandments) from the Bible. Generously sized at 16" x 20", it is more than enough to cover your challah plate and two loaves. It is embroidered with the Hebrew words "Shabbat v'Yom Tov" making it suitable for both Shabbat and Holidays.
Like much Judaica it is a mitzvah (commandment) to elevate a ritual object with beauty. This is called a Hiddur Mitzvah. It would make a very special gift for a wedding, host, or for yourself. Challah covers are often cherished and passed on to future generations like a family heirloom.
About April Stewart Klausner: An illustrator and designer, April lives and works in a small village in Litchfield County, Connecticut. April has created illustrations for textiles and print, New York City Jewish day schools, a Hudson Valley, New York organic farm and educational center, a grassroots organization to promote voting, the top-ranked children’s hospital in New York plus various forms of Judaica. Using vibrant, saturated color, her work is often inspired by the beauty of nature and the rituals of her culture, seeking to use her art to elevate the observances and celebrations within Jewish tradition.
- Material / Ingredients / Care
- Spot clean if necessary
- 100% Raw Silk Front; 100% Cotton Back
- Country of Origin: United States
- Maisonette Product ID: Item number APRI24150233