We Stand Against Racial Injustice
June 1, 2020
To our Maisonette family,
Today, we had some really important conversations with the team, and we'd like to share them with you. (Scroll down to read the email our co-founders sent our team this afternoon).
As parents, we share the honor and incredible responsibility of teaching our children to be kind, compassionate, inclusive, and educated members of society. To stand up in the face of racial injustice, because, in the words of MLK, “injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere.” We must not fail in this. These past weeks have reminded us, once again, of the violence that our silence can bring. It is simply not enough to not be a racist, as Angela Davis teaches us. We must be actively anti-racist, and we must teach our children to be the same.
Today, and every day, Maisonette stands with those openly, vocally, and fearlessly fighting systemic racism across this country. We believe BLACK LIVES MATTER. And we know that believing this starts at home. That's why we're putting our resources towards creating content that empowers parents with the tools to have the difficult conversations, so we may find a path forward, together. We hope you will join us.
— The Maisonette Team
--------- Forwarded message ---------
From: Sylvana Durrett
Date: Mon, Jun 1, 2020 at 4:33 PM
Subject: We Stand Against Racial Injustice
To: Maisonette Team
Cc: Luisana Mendoza
These past few months have been unprecedented for our country. The Coronavirus has claimed over 100,000 lives and forced our country and the world into lockdown. In the midst of this public health crisis, which has disproportionately affected BIPOC communities, an even more terrifying human rights crisis, one that has been ongoing for centuries, has come to light in a way that we simply cannot ignore. The senseless deaths of Ahmaud Arbery, Breonna Taylor, George Floyd and countless other innocent members of the Black community who have fallen prey to what can only be described as abhorrent acts of racial injustice, has rocked us all to our core, and reminded us of the violence that our silence can bring.
As a company, we acknowledge that we waited too long to respond. We acknowledge that there is much work to be done, both as a company and as individuals, to do our part in fighting the rampant racism plaguing our national and global community. At Maisonette, we believe it is never too late to do what is right. So today, we pledge to take a stand. To be held accountable for the responsibility we bear as a business, and as individuals. To be a content resource for parents working to raise actively anti-racist children. To make sure our employees are not only representative of this beautifully diverse world we live in, but that they feel heard and safe in our care, no matter their race, ethnicity, sexual orientation, and/or any form of identity.
Internally and externally, we are taking preliminary steps to address this issue immediately but, rest assured, our work is just beginning. We will continue to strive to do better, to implement better practices for our community and employees, and to hold ourselves to the highest standards.
To begin, we have outlined 3 internal and 3 external steps we are taking today:
1. No Questions Asked Personal Day: We ask that everyone take the time they need to process the crises that have overwhelmed so many of us and/or participate in any activities in support of change.
2. Employee Donation Match: We will match any donation made by any employee to organizations that fight racial injustice, up to $5k total.
3. We will implement a Diversity & Inclusion Committee comprised of any/all who feel passionate about joining, to ensure we are following best practices for our employees, and that every employee feels heard and safe.
1. We will email our community with our pledge to stand against racism and racial injustice, and outline the steps we are taking.
2. Community Donation Match: We will match any donation made by a member of our community to organizations fighting racial injustice, up to $5k total.
3. We will create content to help parents find a way forward, to give them the tools to have the difficult conversations, to help them raise actively anti-racist children. We will take this moment to reflect, to educate ourselves, to forge a path forward together.
With love and hope, Syl and Lu Co-Founders Of Maisonette